Skip to main content

The Commercial Value of Social Progressive-ness.

This morning I ran across this ad from Renault. Now, I realise that the primary focus here is to sell cars, and the target demographic is a more Socially Progressive market - but they aren't the only people who are going to see the ad. I'm sure it'll be up on tellys all over, and as you can see, it's on the interwebs as well.





So the question I have is this: Does the Commercial nature of this type of media (advertising)  cheapen the value of promoting social change and a more equal society?  Is the good done by exposing the public to diversity, to showing the "other" as "normal" worth more than the manipulation of the public by Mad Men?  When does it stop being a force for good, and become just one more gimmick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Dandelion Wine - wikiHow

How to Make Dandelion Wine - wikiHow Interesting article. Totally random how I came across it - as most things in my life tend to be (did you catch the name of the blog?) and I've decided to do it. As my boyfriend says, the more random, the more unique, the more likely I am to do it. He's not entirely wrong in this guess-timate of my nature. Probably not wrong at all... ...so who's up for collecting dandelions with me?

On Shithole Countries: Why do we need Haiti to be our nigger?

So last week, our Witless Leader referred to Haiti (and El Salvador, as well as African nations collectively) as “ shithole countries ”, and while the language itself is reprehensible, I don’t think that should be our focus. Rather we need to examine our need to label countries as “shitholes”, and what that says about us, collectively. It’s racism, plain and simple. Not the racism of individual people who hold racist notions, or subscribe to racist ideologies, but Endemic Institutional Racism. Of course there is an interest in labeling Haiti as a “shithole countr[y]” - because Haiti is the first independent nation of Latin America and the Caribbean, the second republic in the Americas, and the only nation in the world established as a result of a successful slave revolt. If it’s a “shithole”, a failed State, then it just “proves” that Black and Brown people simply can’t govern themselves. We in the “civilized” West have made an example of Haiti 🇭🇹 . Why? ...