Skip to main content

Yom Kippur Reflections

Last week was Yom Kippur, the holiest day in the Hebrew calendar. This year, I don't belong to a synagogue community. In past years, I was either teaching in one, dating someone whose family was very involved in one, or lived in a town where there was only one beit in town. This year, I was adrift.

Kind of fitting, as this is also the first year I'm living as a single fellow, and on a sailboat, no less.

Sort of last-minute - literally the day of - I ended up being rounded up by a friend to attend Erev Rosh Hashanah services at the Hillel at UW. I've been there previously, as I used to be involved in the local "bridge group", JConnect. It's meant to "bridge the gap" between college involvement, and getting married and settling down in a synagogue to raise a family. It's purpose is to keep young professionals (mid 20s - 30s) involved in the Jewish community.

This year I turned 38.

Rosh services went well. I was with friends, and the rabbi is very friendly. In no way did I feel that I didn't fit in. That didn't happen until Yom.

I showed up early to wait for the friend who'd roped me into going in the first place. I waited. And waited some more. I waited until services started, awkwardly standing alone in the vestibule, watching all the (much younger) college kids coming in, meeting up with their friends, and settling in to services. I sat through Psukei d'zimrot... Shacharit... Musaf... Right up until Yizkor. Alone. In a row by myself. In the front.

Now, don't get me wrong. During services, I was thoroughly engaged in the service. I love the ritual, the music, the meditative quality of the prayers, the psalms; the whole experience was enriching. Right up until I left (traditionally, one does not attend the Yizkor service if one's parents are still alive - it's bad luck). Walking out in a group of young'ns, none of whom I knew, I realized just how alone I was. How out of place.

Alone in a crowded room. My favourite sensation.

</sarcasm>

I've aged out of the "bridge group", but I haven't "graduated" into the next successive group with he rest of my cohort. I'm not married. I'm not even dating. Kids are so far down the road... I don't even have a dog yet (although I'm working on that).

I'm comfortable with my life most days. It's only when I'm confronted with the expectations society has for where I'm "supposed" to be, that I feel... well, a bit awkward. I feel a bit like I'm expected to be a sort of Paul Lynde "Uncle Arthur" character in the lives of my friends. The funny, smart, single gay man "of a certain age." A role I'm not certain I really want to play. Yes, I'm single. Yes, I'm idiosyncratic. Yes, yes, yes - but no. I'm not settling for that. I'm not settling for anything, I'm just doing what I want to do. I don't feel a biological ticking time bomb, there's no rush to settle down and start a family - I have a family; of friends, of community. 

For now, that is enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make Dandelion Wine - wikiHow

How to Make Dandelion Wine - wikiHow Interesting article. Totally random how I came across it - as most things in my life tend to be (did you catch the name of the blog?) and I've decided to do it. As my boyfriend says, the more random, the more unique, the more likely I am to do it. He's not entirely wrong in this guess-timate of my nature. Probably not wrong at all... ...so who's up for collecting dandelions with me?

On Shithole Countries: Why do we need Haiti to be our nigger?

So last week, our Witless Leader referred to Haiti (and El Salvador, as well as African nations collectively) as “ shithole countries ”, and while the language itself is reprehensible, I don’t think that should be our focus. Rather we need to examine our need to label countries as “shitholes”, and what that says about us, collectively. It’s racism, plain and simple. Not the racism of individual people who hold racist notions, or subscribe to racist ideologies, but Endemic Institutional Racism. Of course there is an interest in labeling Haiti as a “shithole countr[y]” - because Haiti is the first independent nation of Latin America and the Caribbean, the second republic in the Americas, and the only nation in the world established as a result of a successful slave revolt. If it’s a “shithole”, a failed State, then it just “proves” that Black and Brown people simply can’t govern themselves. We in the “civilized” West have made an example of Haiti 🇭🇹 . Why? ...